Thursday, December 9, 2010

The revenge of the red buggers

Look! Some of the stubborn ants who refused to give up.
Voldermot and Dumbledore are interesting to these ants. Hate them!

Ants, the bane of my life at the moment. I usually read before I sleep. A week ago, I wanted to read Harry Potter and Deadly Hallows (just watched the movie). Something entertaining and brainless before bed for sweet dreams. Dump the book on the bed, took my shower.

Climbed onto the bed and flipped opened the book. Tiny red ants rained onto my hands and body!!!!!! Ok, they didn't rain but a lot of them fell out of the book onto me. How fast can a person leap out from the bed? Very, very fast.

The resourceful little ants were building a new nest in my sis's Harry Potter! OMG! I picked the book from the bed and ran at top speed to the balcony and started knocking the book frantically attempting to shake out the colony and brushing the red ants off me. Gross, tiny red ants and eggs. Arrrgghhhhhhhhh!!!! Adrenaline rushing. Snuffed out every single ant including the queen ant. I assumed she is the queen since she was the biggest.........not a peaceful night.



Left the opened book at the balcony and went back to comb the bed inch by inch. Assured that there are no ants on my bed. No aggressive soldier ants planning their counterattack. I went to sleep.

Red ants biting me in my dreams. Obviously, it was a restless night, tossing and turning. I had a fright. How many people had ants raining down on them while reading. The episode reminded me of the movie Joe's apartment where cockroaches fell by heaps onto the actors when their apartment's ceiling gave way. Yicks. At least, mine were ants not roaches. Shudders.

Tsk, I am so going to download that iphone kill the ants application! I have been bitten badly before when I ate sugary cookies in bed when I backpacked to Penang with my mum. That 'memorable' night after I returned from the feast at Gurney Drive. I climbed unsuspectedly onto the bed and covered myself with the blanket. Tiny, burning sensations all over my limbs and torso. When I pulled the blanket off the bed. There were so many ants scrambling under the blanket. A hive of activity. So to say, I never ever eat in bed especially sweet stuff. Ants have amazing hunting instinct and they bite really hard.

Next morning, checked the books on the shelf. Not in Blind assassin, or, The Constant Gardener, or A Fraction of the Whole or Eating Animals, or the other Harry Potter (half blood prince). Mmmm, the ants like light hearted books not those seriously long winded books.

Yup, it took me more than week to recover from the ant episode. I bought baygon.... and I filled up the wall cavity (ant nest entrance) with wall putty and more tea tree oil. Suffocate! Die, die, die! Can ants bite through concrete?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...