Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Hainanese Chicken Rice and the Bobbing Head




I apologised to the chicken for accidentally snapping its head off when I was removing it from the pot of boiling broth. Mad. I actually said I am sorry while the chicken head bobbed forlornly in my chicken broth. I think this could be the result of eating a vegetable-based diet and supermarket shopping.

I am one of those who insist on shopping in a sanitised environment where I will not be reminded that the meat I am eating was once an animal. Honestly, I hate going to wet markets. All the blood and the many glassy dead eyes looking at me. Give me a nicely chopped up chicken or pass me my vegetables. No guilt in eating vegetables. Funnily, I insist on eating fresh fish. I hate eating overcooked or lousy fish. With my fussy tastebuds, God forbid if the chicken served to me is made from frozen chicken.

My maiden attempt in making chicken rice. When I was a teenager, I remember my mum will instruct me to 'rescue' the chicken from the broth and immersed it in cold water, rubbing a layer of oil and soya sauce on the chicken and lunch will be served.

Not exactly my mum's recipe but similar...


1.4 – 1.6kg chicken
6 – 8 whole garlic
40g ginger, peeled and lightly crushed
4 spring onions, knotted
1 cucumber, sliced
1 corriander to garnish

For the Chicken:
Wash the chicken and rub some salt over the inside and outside to season. Stuff chicken cavity with garlic, ginger and spring onions. Boil a pot of water with 1 tsp of salt (or more). Make sure there is enough water to submerge the whole chicken. When the water is boiling, hold chicken legs, dip the chicken into the boiling water twice/thrice. Place chicken in the pot and leave uncovered. Bring the water to boil again for another 2 mins. Reduce heat, cover pot and simmer for 25 – 30mins. Remove chicken and immediately immerse chicken in ice cold water for 5 minutes to stop the cooking progress and to tighten the flesh. Remove the stuff in the cavity, rub oil and soya sauce on the chicken, chop it up and serve.

For the Rice:
Fry some of the chicken fat, add the rice and toss for 2 mins. Add the chicken broth, some salt, pandan leaves, garlic and ginger. Transfer to a rice cooker and wait till the 'ting'.

Make your own chilli and ginger dip if you want.

4 comments:

  1. Wow, now comes to cooking chicken. So when is the Christmas turkey?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never. Turkey is meant to be bought at the supermarket or deli.

    ReplyDelete
  3. loves to eat and travelAugust 15, 2010 at 11:48 PM

    hello! i would like to try the recipe, but where can i get the chicken fat from? not from the broth right? i have to search for pandan leaves.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Trim off the fat from the chicken before you poach it. Choose the fattier part of the chicken skin. Using less fat will make the rice less fragrant but it is healthier. Some indulgent people put butter in the rice too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...