Monday, October 18, 2010

Lipstick plant report card: Not doing too well : (

Been 3 months since I bought the two lipstick plants from the nurseries.

What is a lipstick plant? Copied right from Wikipedia, Aeschynanthus is a genus of ca. 185 species of tropical herbs. They are found in southern and southeastern Asia, the islands of Indonesia, New Guinea, and the Philippines. They are usually trailing epiphytes with brightly colored flowers that are pollinated by sunbirds.

I didn't know what and where it is from before I bought them. I just like their fat dark green glossy leaves, the red tubular flowers and the way the leaves cascaded. They were on my 'I Want list' for sometime.

It's been a fair share of happiness whenever they bloomed, or when the sunbirds came to visit and frustrations when the green glossy leaves kept falling off.

Was it the location of the plants in my balcony? Or too much water or too little of it? Or maybe too much sun?

A gardener's constant dilemma. How much is too much water or how much is too much light? Or too much fertilizer?

According to the goggle searches and instructions from the nursery's owner, it is a low maintenance plant that needs bright light and moist but well draining soil. Yep, sounds easy... I really hope they don't die before I get the hang of looking after them.

Marching on.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...