Friday, October 8, 2010

Raising a Stink

Stock Photo AP.
You can't be serious, that's a big heap of s...compost!
What is wrong with these people! First, they stockpiled sand, now compost or ****. Finally, a picture of the 200 tonne of 'compost' that had it's stench perfuming the neighbourhood for the past 2 weeks.

Had my first whiff sometime back. I was like in the bathroom, I went, "Is there something dead in my home drainage system? Time to buy the drain de-clogging chemical?" I lowered my head and sniffed at the drain traps. Eewwwkk... grossed out behavior. Then I stepped out of the air-conditioned bedroom into the living room. You could have knocked me over with a feather. Did a sewage pipe burst or what! It was really a major stink. That puzzling stench came back again and again over the past two weeks. Then, I found out from a forum that there is a mountain of compost fermenting in the heat and rain less than a km from my home.



Great! I know compost is very beneficial for the plants, grass, and whatever plants Nparks and HDB is planting. I like the greenery but having been constantly sniffing at myself to check whether I smelled of poo is really uurrgghhh. I can't even think of a word to express my feelings.

Don't ask me what those birds are doing in the heap in the picture. Maybe, birds can't smell? I doubt so. Or, there are lots of flies and insects buzzing around the stock piles. Strange taste buds they have, our feathery friends. I wonder who is the supervisior at Koh brothers (HDB's contracter). I will lob the _ _ _ _ (fill in the blanks yourself) into your home or car next time if you ever think of stock piling compost in my neighbourhood. No worries, I am just verbalising my frustration. I will never touch the fermenting wet compost with my bare hands. My own plants enjoy their organic not so smelly compost pellets administered by me using a spoon out of the store bought compost bag. I do like the store bought compost that has the smell pretreated. It's bearable stench.

I don't swear and I won't start on it even on my blog. I am a nice person. Hmmmm. I pity those living nearer to the cesspool.

Read more about the stench here in the news.
http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2010/10/08/what-is-that-smell/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...