Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Of ants and lizards

"Are you clearing the dead ant's nest?"

"No, why should I? I am instilling fear in their troopers. Leave the dead ants there."


Horrid little buggers are nesting in the cupboard's drawer again. They nested there before but are back again. I wonder which clever ant decided to nest at the same spot again? Totally brainless or they thought the most dangerous place is the safest place? Doesn't the smell of Baygon strike fear in their little hearts?

Die, die, die. DIE!

I am also trying out a new remedy to repel ants in my home. Tea tree oil works but is just too expensive in the long run. A spicy mix of pepper and cloves along their favourite trail is the new but cheaper weapon of choice. Ants apparently do not like strong smelling herbs. Go away. Really, far away please.

Anyway, dead ants release a chemical scent that will alert their fellow friends of danger. In times of attack, they will scatter but will regroup when they sense the danger is over. They will always collect their fallen brethren. They are very loyal friends. Maybe, they will learn to never nest at that spot again.




The ant's favourite spots in my home?
Basil plant
Rosemary plant
The baygon-smelling set of drawers
The bookshelves

Ant Status: 
After the tea tree oil experiment, the ants cleared out of my plants and my balcony. Recently they are back. Now, they are busy moving from the basil to the rosemary. Why? I left a present of cloves and peppers at their doorstep in the pot of basil. Their response? They moved a few pots down to the rosemary plant. Their scouts are not very smart. I am going to prepare my pepper and cloves mix after this post. I should dry roast the spice before putting it into a teabag. Dry roasting spices releases the aroma and oils from spice.

The battle continues.

The lizard problem in my home looms. The lizards are here because of the abundant supply of ants. Darn. Anyone has any humane advice on how to get rid of lizards. No chemical or glue traps please. Neither is catching live lizards and imprisoning them for a few days in box workable. I read about this method that imprisoned lizards will warn other lizards by vocalising loudly. Too icky a plan to follow through.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...